IMI University Centre - International Hotel, Tourism and Culinary Management
Establised in 1990, The International Hotel Management Institute (IMI) is a leading accredited hotel management school in Lucerne, in north-central Switzerland. We are a highly specialized hospitality and tourism management institution which educates and trains young, talented individuals from around the globe to take up professional positions in the world’s largest industry.
Our internationally-recognised courses in the fields of hospitality, tourism, culinary arts and events management are taught through English. We offer our courses at certificate, diploma, and bachelor degree level as well as offering a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program.
Study Programmes in English
At the all levels,from Certificate, Diploma, Higher Diploma and the BA Honours Degree as well as the MBA (2011B) programmes are validated by the Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) in the UK.
The BA Honours Degree programme can currently be taken in six configurations to reflect contemporary trends, specialising in :
- International Hotel Management
- International Tourism Management
- International Hotel and Tourism Management
- International Hotel and Events Management
- International Tourism and Events Management
- European Culinary Management
Description and information about accommodation Lucerne
Lucerne, Switzerland, is a beautiful lively university city surrounded by a lake, river and the Alps. The city is famed for its traditional historic architecture, whilst also providing a contemporary and fun place for young people to study and enjoy the bars, restaurants and shops of an international city.
Lucerne is a popular tourist destination and benefits from good travel connections. Being at the heart of Europe, Luzern is only a 5-hour train-trip away from Paris, whilst budget airlines can take you to London for as low as 30 US$. A further benefit of Lucerne is that most locals speak at least some basic English, making it an ideal location for interntional students.
Due to its location, access to various traditional as well as extreme-sports like mountain biking, sailing, skiing, all kind of water-sports and more ensures that not only the brainwaves are kept active.
Accommodation: Students studying at IMI have a variety of options when in comes to accommodation. There are 180 on-campus rooms and 80+ off campus in town (12 minutes by bus) offering single or twin rooms, with breathtaking view of either Lake Lucerne, or the Alps. It is suggested that new students initially reside on campus and if later they wish more proximity to the city, they may consider off campus living options.
All IMI's rooms are equipped with TV and refrigerators and most with a direct phone line where students can be reached directly in their rooms. This line only receives external incoming calls but can also be used internally.
- IMI has the legal status entitlement of the Swiss Canton of Lucerne to operate a college. The Lucerne government, in its most recent quality report described the school as “managed professionally” with “students obtaining good positions after they leave” and IMI University Centre is accredited and Recognized by
- The Federation of Swiss Private Schools (VSP) Federation of Swiss Private Schools, which has national influence and is recognized internationally by the representative organisation of quality private schools in Switzerland. IMI's membership guarantees that the Institute is recognised by the relevant public sector education authorities internationally
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) - is the UK government agency responsible for overseeing the quality standards of higher education provision in the UK. IMI's partnership with Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) means that the partnership is audited to ensure that students of IMI are following a fully approved programme of study, are treated openly and to the same standards as students studying at MMU. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) was established in 1997 to provide an integrated quality assurance service for United Kingdom higher education.
- Swiss quality label for further education institutions (EDUQUA) The certification and subsequent audits focus on the pedagogy of classes, continued development of academic staff and clear student feedback mechanisms to ensure top quality teaching standards.
- The British Accreditation Council for Independent Further and Higher Education (BAC) thus ensuring official recognition by immigration departments across the globe to facilitate the processing of study visas.
- The Association for Tourism and Leisure Education (ATLAS)
- Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA)
- The Swiss Association for Quality and Management Systems (SQS)
- ISO 9001 :2000 certification IMI is one of the first Swiss colleges to meet the exacting globally recognized standards of ISO 9001:2000 certification, showing the Institute’s commitment to continual quality improvement.